Quillivant XR is a federally controlled substance (CII) because it can be abused or lead to dependence. Keep Quillivant XR in a safe place to prevent misuse and abuse. Selling or giving away Quillivant XR may harm others and is against the law. Tell your doctor if you or your child have (or have a family history of) ever abused or been dependent on alcohol, prescription medicines, or street drugs.
Quillivant XR should not be taken if you or your child are allergic to methylphenidate hydrochloride, or any of the ingredients in Quillivant XR, or are taking or have taken within the past 14 days an antidepression medicine called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor or MAOI.
Heart-related problems have been reported with methylphenidate hydrochloride and other stimulant medications:
- Sudden death in patients who have heart problems or heart defects
- Stroke and heart attack in adults
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
Your doctor should check your or your child’s blood pressure and heart rate regularly during treatment with Quillivant XR.
Mental (psychiatric) problems have been reported with methylphenidate hydrochloride and other stimulant medications:
- New or worse behavior and thought problems
- New or worse bipolar illness
- May cause new psychotic symptoms (such as hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious) or new manic symptoms
Circulation problems in fingers and toes (peripheral vasculopathy, including Raynaud’s phenomenon) have been reported with methylphenidate hydrochloride and other stimulant medications:
- Fingers or toes may feel numb, cool, painful, or may change color from pale, to blue, to red
Call your doctor right away if you or your child have any heart-related symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath or fainting, new or worsening mental (psychiatric) symptoms or new manic symptoms, or signs of unexplained wounds appearing on fingers or toes while taking Quillivant XR.
Quillivant XR may not be right for you. Tell your doctor if:
- You or your child have or have a family history of heart problems, heart defects, or high blood pressure
- You or your child have mental problems including psychosis (hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious), mania, bipolar illness, or depression or about a family history of suicide, bipolar illness or depression
- You or your child have circulation problems in fingers and toes
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Quillivant XR will harm your unborn baby. Talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant
- You are breastfeeding or plan to breast feed. Quillivant XR passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Quillivant XR or breast feed
Possible serious side effects of Quillivant XR are heart-related problems and mental problems, as well as slowing of growth (height and weight) in children. Children should have their height and weight checked often while taking Quillivant XR. Quillivant XR treatment may be stopped if a problem is found during these check-ups. Painful and prolonged erections (priapism) have occurred with methylphenidate. Because of the potential for lasting damage, if you or your child develop priapism, seek evaluation by a doctor immediately.
Common side effects include:
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Trouble sleeping
- Mood swings
- Shaking (tremor)
- Blurred vision
- Increased blood pressure
- Fast heart beat
- Increased sweating
Talk to your doctor if you or your child have side effects that are bothersome or do not go away.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Quillivant XR is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant prescription medicine. Quillivant XR is used for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Quillivant XR may help increase attention and decrease impulsiveness and hyperactivity in patients with ADHD.
This co-pay card is not health insurance. The co-pay card is only accepted at participating pharmacies. For any questions, please call
For more information about Quillivant XR, call
The health information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with a healthcare provider. All decisions regarding patient care must be made with a healthcare provider, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.
The product information provided in this site is intended only for residents of the United States. The products discussed herein may have different product labeling in different countries.